Am I a fashion stylist, image consultant, costume designer or wardrobe stylist? What is really the difference between them all? I love to dress and I love making people look good. I never knew that each job have a different title. If you found yourself wondering what exactly you should call yourself, well then no worries! I have written up the different titles and jobs and hopefully, this will help you on your style journey.
1.Fashion Stylist- A Fashion Stylist is one of the most popular emerging professions in the fashion world globally and is the job title of someone who selects the clothing and accessories for published editorial features, print or television advertising campaigns, music videos, concert performances, and any public appearances made by an artist.
2.Prop Stylist-A prop stylist shops for and gathers a selection of props for photo shoots. The shoots might be editorials for magazines or advertising shoots for catalogs or websites. It might be a photo shoot all about food recipes, or a fashion story, or an interior design story.
3.Costume Designer- A costume designer is a person who designs costumes for a film, stage production or television. The role of the costume designer is to create the characters and balance the scenes with texture and color, etc.
4. Personal Shopper- an individual who is paid to help another to purchase goods, either by accompanying them while shopping or by shopping on their behalf
5. Visual Merchandising- Visual merchandise is the presentation of a store and its merchandise in such a manner that will attract the attention of potential customers. It involves decorating the store keeping the interior presentation the same as what is promised on the outside.
6.Retail Fashion Styling- A Retail fashion stylist is someone who styles customers inside of that particular retail or boutique.
7. Catalog Stylist- A catalog stylist is someone who styles advertisement ads for a major department store.
8. Fashion Show Styling- A fashion show stylist is someone who styles the designer clothing for their runway appearance.
9. Image consultant- A image consultant is someone who creates a particular image for someone.
10. Wardrobe Stylist- Many would refer a wardrobe stylist to a fashion stylist, but I believe that the two are different. A wardrobe stylist is someone who styles someone wardrobe. Yes, the client already has a wardrobe and the stylist comes in a style those pieces for he or she. Now if the client wishes to add additional pieces than the stylist can refer a personal shopper or shop for the client.
I believe I have covered the base of the different types of fashion styling jobs and as time progress I will get into the different fashion terms and designer names.